The SEI is the only body allowed to authorize a SCAMPI Lead Appraiser (LA).
The process for becoming a SCAMPI LA is:
- You must take the SEI’s Intro to CMMI 3-day class, either the current v1.2 class or the v1.2 Upgrade class if you have taken an earlier version.
- You must have an SEI Partner sponsor you as a candidate Lead Appraiser
- You must take the SEI’s 5-day Intermediate CMMI Class v1.2 $2750
- You must participate on at least two SCAMPI A appraisals within the past 24 months
- You must take the SEI’s 5-day SCAMPI LA class $4200
- You must be observed by an SEI Observer leading a SCAMPI A Appraisal
- The SCAMPI LA renewal requirements can be found here http://www.sei.cmu.edu/appraisal-program/appraiser-communications/scampi-renewal.pdf . There is a three year period in which the LA has to conduct at least one SCAMPI A and accrue at least 3 points
In addition, the prerequisites for becoming a LA are:
- at least ten years of project management and engineering experience in systems or software engineering
- a minimum of two years of experience managing technical personnel
- an advanced degree in a related technical area or equivalent experience
Since there are limited appraisal opportunities within a company, there may not be enough opportunities for the LA to accumulate the necessary 3 points in order to maintain his or her LA credentials.